Saturday 27 February 2010

A Vintage Inspiration.

It has been said that amoung the most picturesque of villages in the Yorkshire Dales, Linton-in-Craven has to be one of the most unspoilt. The most perfect setting for a winter wedding and with snow still on the hillside, I cannot argue with that. (Apart from Burnsell of course)
As with many wedding events I eagerly attend, this has to be set in one of the prettiest, quietest villages (apart from the cawing of the crows) I have ever been too.
Fountaine Hospital Chapel was the setting for the blessing of Helene and Simon today.

I first met Helene in January 2010 when she contacted me with her inspirational images of a 1940's Hollywood starlet wedding gown.

Helene was very precise with her requirements. "The fabric is very important," she said. "Either a matt silk satin or a really flowing fabric. I want the dress to be quite structured at the top and the detail to be in the shoulder caps. I want a very low v-neck at the front and a bow or sash at the waist. I would like long sleeves with a small puff and perhaps covered buttons down the back. The dress needs to be fitted at the hip and I would like a small train. It needs to be double lined so it is heavy."

The fabric Helene eventually chose was a Sandwashed Silk crepe. Not really the best fabric for a structured bodice, but most certainly for the skirt.
This set me on a challenge to once again push the sewing skills to achieve the best result. My only concerns were that eventhough I managed to source the perfect fabric, it left just twelve days to construct the gown before Helene and Simon had their marriage blessed following their intimate wedding in York on the 25th February 2010.

After many toile fittings and a few tweaks the gown was finished. Helene attended her final fitting on the morning of her wedding and hugged me. "Thank you Linda," she said. "This is exactly what I was after."

The finished gown.


After a brief chat with the photographer, Emma Case ,I watched
Helene arrive at Fountaines Hospital chapel after a short walk from her overnight accomodation.
Helene, looking totally radiant holding her vintage inspired bouquet of peonies, anemones and eucalyptus put together by a local florist.

I was thrilled when Helene looked to her side and said. "Hello Linda."

One last radiant glance as she walked towards the Chapel entrance.


The properties of the silk satin work perfectly for gowns similar to those of Jenny Packham and Claire Pettibone, however with much persistence and experimenting with the use of other silk fabrics to stabilize the satin, between Helene and I we produced an amazing bridal gown.

May I take this opportunity to say, Helene, you looked stunning today. It has been an absolute pleasure to have worked with you.

Thank you for allowing me to be part of your very special day.
For a full insight into Helene's special day, please visit



2 comments:

  1. Just in from Helene.

    Hi Linda

    just back from sri lanka - had a great time - it was lovely to see you there as i walked to the chapel - i felt like a star in the dress!!
    take care x

    ReplyDelete