Tuesday 2 March 2010

The Wedding of Natalie.


One of my clients, Natalie, was considering the offshore purchasing route for her wedding gown when we first met,but with so many companies to choose from her dilema was. "Which one?"
Purchasing the most important gown she will ever likely to wear could have been stressful for her at the best of times and even more so when purchasing it without actually trying it on. So,
with many brides now opting for overseas companies to make their gowns on a custom make basis, I have to thank Natalie for placing her trust in me.
Choosing a good dressmaker takes skill. There’s more involved than running a finger through the phone directory, choosing a name, and calling to ask, “How much does it cost to have my Dream Gown made?” That’s like asking someone “How long is string?” So to have someone request I make their gown after never meeting is an especially huge honour.
Natalie said. "We were originally having a 'big' wedding but got so fed up with everyone saying we should do this and that and the costs getting bigger and bigger that we decided that we were loosing sight of what the wedding day was actually about so we went to the Registry Office and basically told them when we were off on holiday and asked what dates they had available that week.
The dress I had originally wanted for my 'big' wedding was very much a big occassion dress and unfortunately not suitable for the day we were planning so I had to rethink. I knew I wanted something that still looked like a wedding dress but that was a simple enough design to fit in with our basic wedding. I came across a picture of a bridesmaids dress similar to the dress you made me that I liked. It was 3/4 length and strapless with a fuller skirt and I knew that I suited that style of dress. We tweaked it here and there and hey ho my dress was born! Hurrah! And I loved it so much even though it was a million miles away from what I had picked to begin with. Everyone commented how beautiful it was and no-one could believe that it didn't cost hundreds and hundreds of pounds!"
Once I received the completed measurement form I was ready to make a start.
Natalie chose an ivory 100% silk dupion fabric. Samples were sent for her inspection along with a beautiful soft tulle. Natalie requested to use the tulle as a petticoat which 'peeped' out at the hemline of the gown.
She'd requested a corset or lace-up back closure for a minimal adjustment. Corset backs are not designed for excess dress size adjustments as the lace-up needs to remain in proportion with the back of the gown.
The turnover cuff on the bodice was to be hand beaded using seed pearls, small 'rice-shaped' beads and irridescent bugle beads. Natalie left me in complete control of the design.
Construction photographs were provided throughout the whole process as my aim was to allow Natalie to be in complete control over the design of her gown.


A radient smile.



Natalie and her husband said. "I do,"
at the Town House, Kirkcaldy, Fife and then on to a reception at TheBay Hotel, Kinghorn.




It was an absolut pleasure working for Natalie under what could have been for her, a very stressful time. However, I was delighted to have been able to make the whole process as simple and stress free as possible for her.

I was very sad when the gown was completed and sent off, as I am with all of my clients.
When I work with a client they become more than a name or a face, their dress is something I have worked on with love and attention to detail and then when it's finished, it's gone. Sometimes it's like losing a good friend. Silly really, but there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment