Thursday 4 March 2010

To Bead or Not To Bead?

I first met Gina when I was a guest at my best friends wedding (see above post.) She was after something Vintage herself, all those years ago, and was very specific on the style. A 1920's 'flapper' gown with lots of beads, sequins and fringing. "I want it to sparkle, and be very heavy," she said. A satin sash hugged her hips giving the illusion of the perfect dropped waistline so common of it's period.
Of course, back in those days internet access wasn't available as it is today and sourcing fabrics was time consuming and quite often unsuccesful.
However, I came across a wonderful corded lace at a local Indian fabric house, but without the beading, I knew I was about to undertake a massive task. Hand stitiching over 3,000 beads and sequins to the completed gown. To say it was time consuming was an understatement, especially the bead fringing which adorned the sleeves and hemline. Tear-drop pearls with tiny sead pearls as anchorage, clear sequins and rice-shaped beads took many hours, but each one was hand-stitched to the lace. Not a task I would undertake again.
Gina and her husband were married in Windsor with her attendants dressed in flowing chiffon and silk.
Of course, nowadays fabrics are much easier to source, but lace especially embelished can be costly.


So, when you find that perfect wedding gown with it's beads and sequins which sparkle and twinkle, even the gown which has embelished motifs, consider this. A gown worthy of it's cost has it's beads and sequins stitched to the lace. You won't find a hint of glue anywhere!

2 comments:

  1. Gina's dress is absolutely fabulous!!!!!! I'm in the US, but could you give me any info on where or whom she got it from?????

    Thanks in Advance!

    J.A. Faith

    Beach6418@aol.com

    ReplyDelete